Safety is a CITGO core value that shapes our daily decisions at every level.
Our visionary goal of zero injuries, illnesses, and incidents is known as Operational Excellence.
The CITGO Safety Culture
To reach our vision of zero incidents, CITGO established a safety culture focused on delivering superior performance along with a commitment to safe workplaces for ourselves, our families and our communities. CITGO team members are:
They collect and analyze relevant data to stay informed of HSE performance and trends.
They are confident to report HSE concerns without fear of blame.
They learn from opportunities and make changes to eliminate or minimize risks.
They are able to adjust our path, while remaining focused when faced with a dynamic and demanding task environment.
They understand the boundary between behaviors considered acceptable (safe) and unacceptable (at risk) and act accordingly even when no one is watching.
They are empowered to intervene during day-to-day activities whenever HSE requirements may not be clearly met and support each other in our obligation to Stop Work when risk is considered unacceptable.
10 Life-Critical Safety Rules
These rules enhance our safety performance and are specifically focused on reducing risks of serious incidents while performing critical activities. They are based on our health and safety standards and are a powerful tool to communicate critical requirements to our employees and contractors.
Every employee and contractor is required to learn all 10 rules, use them every day, and make them a regular part of our safety dialogue.
Safety Awards & Highlights
An incident-free workplace is achievable and expected.
- 2021 International Liquid Terminals Association (ILTA) Safety Excellence Award
- 2021 Union Pacific Railroad Pinnacle Award
- 2020 BNSF Railroad Product Stewardship Award
- 2019 American Petroleum Institute (API) Distinguished Pipeline Safety Award
- 2020 American Waterways Operators’ Tankering and Barge Operations Subcommittee Inaugural Safety Award
- 2021 American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) Safety Achievement Award
- 2020 CN Railway Safe Handling Award
- 2019 AFPM Elite Gold Safety Award
- 2021 AFPM Safety Achievement Award
- 2020 ILTA Platinum Safety Award
- 2020 AFPM Safety Achievement Award
- 2019 ILTA Safety Excellence Award
- 2019 ILTA 5-Year Safety Excellence Award
- 2019 API Distinguished Pipeline Safety Award
CITGO employees are ready to manage emergency situations and remedy it thanks to our extensive training drills. In accordance with all regulatory requirements, we make emergency preparation a regular practice to mitigate impacts to our team, our assets, the environment and our neighbors.
We also confirm that our equipment is reliable and can withstand the demands of an emergency situation.